Saturday, November 20, 2010

My meet-up with an Australian bengali wife :-)

Today I met up with a friend of mine (who I've only ever spoken to on Facebook before) who is Australian and is also married to a Bengali man!

We were talking about how long we had been married and what visa we were on, she happens to be on a Entry (X) visa while I'm on a tourist visa! She has been married for 4 years and for the first few years the husband's parents didn't even know they were married! Actually, the parents had sent the husband to India to interview prospective brides, when in actuality he went to marry her without anyone knowing!

Also, we talked about our in-laws reactions to us, her's were a bit upset and mine were completely fine with it (they had given up all hope that DH was going to marry...ever!) And we discussed how there are many cultural differences that cause problems, like staying in our rooms with our doors shut, she while studying, and me because I like to be alone, and how that causes the family to feel insulted. However, in American and Australian culture, that is perfectly normal and acceptable.

We also spoke about her first experiences living and visiting with her husbands family in the US! I feel for her because she lives in Australia and her husband in the US and they can only see each other for 3 months at a time (because Australians get 90 days on arrival!) but they are planning for the husband to move to Australia next year.

It was just fun to be with someone who know how it felt, and to just compare how it had been. All in all it was a fun trip! :-) Her husband comes into town on Sunday, so maybe DH and I will get together with the 2 of them sometime while they are here.

3 comments:

  1. I"m glad you got to meet up with her. I hope both you guys can meet up with your husbands as well. What a story that couple has. :-) I'm sure it's nice to actually meet up with people who have a similar situation as yourself. I wish that I could do that with some of the women bloggers, but it seems we're all over the world, rightly so I guess. :-)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,

    I bet her in laws got a shock!!

    Glad you had a great time - AUSSIE GIRLS are pretty cool, or so I've been told!

    *giggle*

    Vishav's sister was actually pursued by a guy and his family and it turned out he already had a wife in Australia!

    I am all for love, but all for honesty!!

    I wish we could all meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Grace

    lol, yeah, but...some things happened that made me feel bad for her! :-)

    Come to India and I'll come to Amritsar and see you :P

    ReplyDelete

Father in law...Final Day

FIL has passed away. He had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer before the Durga Puja holidays and we then pursued another opinion befo...